Sunday 17 July 2011

Philosophy remains in Banal too.

I am putting this blog in my day to day activities though it happened years ago.

It was during my 12th standard, last and final standard of my schooling. This particular incident happened without any expectation, I should say that it is still incredible that such a incident could happen at all by accident. The obscure place where the incident took place was a Barber Shop, very typical one.

With full of obsession about my preparation for revision test and life turner final exam, I managed to reach the shop to cut my overgrown hair and change my coiffure. The Barber was no philosopher.I have come many times to this shop.

It was Sunday then, usually during Sundays, he would be having many customers and was on that day too. After waiting for some time, I thought, I got my turn to have a hair cut. But before that, he was in need to cut hair for another customers. He started cutting the hair of the customer, doing his job he started to speak with a boy who was younger than me. In between his conversation something seems to have flashed in his memory, he started up, telling a story to the young boy.

The Story was about Lord Brahma. Being an Indian and a Hindhu by birth, have heard lot of stories about Deities. But, this one, I have never heard before, even it does not gets linked to any Indian Epics. It looks like it has been excerpted from Vedas or folklore.

The story goes like this,
"Once upon a time, Lord Brahma came to know that his life span was around ten thousand yuga, which stood greater than thousand yuga of Lord Shiva and two thousand yuga life span of Lord Vishu. Brahma got so conceited. He even adored himself for the long life span he had. Lord Brahma wanted to confirm that he is the only person who has such a long life span and he toured all the worlds to find whether he could find anyone who is having life span longer than him. He stumble upon a rishi(seer) on the way. Lord Brahma inquired how long is his life span. He said, "I do not know how long, I am going to live. But I do know that i would turn one yuga only when  all the hair of the rishi who is staying on the near by mountain falls". Lord Brahma, went to the rishi who is residing in the near by mountain, on the way he found that the mountain was fully covered by the hairs of the rishi. He inquired the rishi residing over there about how long it would take for a hair to fall from his head and how long is his life span. The rishi replied that "one hair from my head would fall when the rishi who is residing in the next mountain make a twist or contortion in his body and when the rishi makes seven twists in his body i would turn one yuga". Lord Brahma strolled down the mountain in order to reach the next rishi, on the way Brahma just recollected that huge hairs filling the mountain and tried to reckon how much yuga he would have lived and also about the earlier rishi. Lord Brahma was in astonishment on his way to next rishi. Lord Brahma crossed around seven mountains and at each mountain he found a rishi who were very humble and have lived mind numbing yugas. Lord Brahma felt ashamed about his conceitedness and went back to his work of creation."

After finishing the story, the barber said to the young boy, that there could be lot more people in this world who are above our position and at the same time without any conceitedness.

I got titillated, when the barber finished his story. I do not know why all the way the barber should say this story to the young boy and on that particular day and in that particular place. It seemed like all the universe have converged to say something to me.

I realized that there are people around us, who live in a modest life and in an occupation which we even don't revere. But the pure soul of each and every individual is enlightened in some way. Both the story and the incident was conveying the samething similar to me.

I cleared my glare mind, put up by the reverberating story and had a good hair cut and went back home, again cerebrating about my exams and making myself preoccupied with the tasks and plans.

P.S. - Though I have put the story as though i know, I have concatenated the gaps, I would like to know the real excerpt from where it has been taken and solicitously waiting to know more about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meditation and 5 L

Relaxation and Laughter distinguishes being human and human being . Relaxation is meditation. May be it is a lie, but a beautiful one, whic...